Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Thanksgiving

(Me doing some testing at work last week)


In the spirit of November and Thanksgiving, I thought I'd post a little bit about what I'm thankful for lately.

Last week when I was running an errand for work, I drove past the location of a company that I interviewed with my senior year of college as I was job hunting -- we'll call this company Parrco. I actually interviewed at 5 or 6 places, and I got offers from all of the companies I'd wanted except for Parrco. I couldn't figure it out -- I'd felt so good about my interview there, and I felt really comfortable with the work atmosphere. But they kept stringing me on and never actually got me an offer in-hand.

The day came that I was supposed to start letting companies know whether or not I'd accepted their offers. I had planned on turning down all of my offers in hopes of getting one from Parrco (stupid, I know). I sat down on the steps outside of one of the buildings on campus and dialed my current company (we'll call them Bellco) to tell them I was turning down their offer. The president of the company began to ask me questions as to why, and to give me his thoughts on my situation. All of a sudden, I felt so calm and comfortable, and right then I knew I needed to accept this job.

I called with the intention of turning them down, and ended up accepting the job where I've been now for almost three years. I know without a doubt that this job was the right place at the right time for me, and I've absolutely loved it.

Where is Parrco three years later? You know, the company I wanted to work for but never got an offer from? Out of business. Technically they got bought out by another company, underwent many changes, and they're not what they were anymore.

Long story short - this Thanksgiving I'm thankful for my job, and I'm thankful for the guidance and revelation that each of us can receive if we desire it. I know that without it, I wouldn't be where I am today or as happy as I am today.


...and if any of you read this entire post, you deserve a gold star. :)

2 comments:

steele life said...

Hey thanks for the comment on my blog. Do you have tickets already? I guess I better find out where you can buy tickets!! How are things going for you! I love reading your blog about all the savings you get! That is so awesome, I just started doing that!

V said...

That is a really cool story (crazy about Parrco)! I'm glad the President of Bellco was persistent and talked through your concerns.