Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Poop at the Pediatrician's

On Monday I took the Bambina to the pediatrician solo because Chris was back at work. I was feeling pretty good about myself after we got there on time, with both of us fully dressed and presentable. (Not bad for my first solo outing, right?) Until they took us back to a room.

{My little mouth-breather. And yes, that's spitup on the collar of her nightgown. A story for another day.}

They asked me to strip her down to a dry diaper. I began taking off the Bambina's clothes and matching headband as the nurse asked me questions. As I did so, we both heard the Bambina "fill" her diaper.

I knew from my short motherly experience with this chica, that she wasn't done filling it. But the nurse was waiting on me to get her changed so we could weigh her in. So I thought I could get in there and change it really quick before she "finished."

Not so.

As soon as I set her on the examination table, took of the soiled diaper and reached for the wipes, the Bambina attempted to finish what she had started. I was mortified. There was poop everywhere. I tried to cover her bum back up until she was done, but that just made it worse.

I kept apologizing to the nurse, and she kept telling me "it happens all the time." But that didn't really make me feel any better. Neither did watching her pull out her haz-mat gloves and supplies while she deodorized and disinfected the entire room. Ugh.

Baby: 1
Mommy: 0

5 comments:

Jessica Jackson said...

Ahhh, the joys of motherhood! When I took our little Jospeh to his two-week he peed all over me when I was changing him in front of the doctor... but that's not quite as bad as poop! Not very funny right when it happens, but I'm glad you can laugh about it now! Congrats on your cute babe!

Melissa Henning said...

lol that's so funny. sorry you were mortified! We know the rules, but no one let the little ones in on them. Look forward for more fun times to come. I think this humility really helps us to relax as parents in the long scheme of things, cause everyone has been trough it. Logan peed on me, from across the room at our doctors office outing. I brought a change of clothes for him, but not me. I had a dress on and a HUGE wet pee stain all the way down my chest/stomach. Fun stuff :).

Unknown said...

That's awesome! And not to worry; it really does happen all the time. Jackson did it on more than one occasion to the nurse, and I felt the same way. Jackson actually pooped on the nurse as she was taking his temperature!

Nurse Heidi said...

I'm only laughing because the same thing happened to me and Ethan! I actually had him in a diaper, but he had astonishing capacity to poop out of them. He was only in his diaper and a blanket, waiting for the doc to come in...waiting waiting waiting for a very long time. Finally, after nearly an hour, I fed him, which stimulated the GI tract to do it's business, and it shot out all over the place. I had it on me, the chair, the floor, the blanket, pretty much everything. Of course, the doc finally walked in about 60 seconds after the explosion, only to find me in tears trying to mop up the mess. It was a fine day indeed :P.

Seth and Sarah said...

I love poop stories! I have more peeing all over the wall and neighboring people stories...perhaps that's because I had a boy first! She is beautiful!