Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Modesty

{Being in Young Womens right now means I have modesty on the brain like all the time, so bear with me.}

I have to say, I love this poster. It was put up around campus at BYU recently. I think it's a good reminder for us all, that our skirts & dresses really should be at our knees, no matter what we've got on underneath.

I have a hard time finding long enough skirts and dresses sometimes, because I'm a little bit on the tall side. I can order dresses from "modest retailers" like Shade & Shabby Apple still have them fall short of my knee. For me it's a good reminder that someone else's opinion of modesty is not necessarily my own. It's a personal thing. It's also a reminder that our bodies are all individual and different.

I get great satisfaction and joy when I've worked hard to find a modest dress that fits my standards. It's like I'm reaffirming my own testimony of how strongly I believe that our bodies are temples.

7 comments:

The Martin Family said...

Amen! I totally agree with you. With 3 girls, modesty is a constant conversation. Good to know others feel the same.

Abe and Lisa said...

Love this! I totally agree. I was in Young Womens last year and I totally know what you mean about modesty always being on your mind. Leggings don't all of sudden make your skirt or dress "modest." But then again this goes for all women no matter their age.

V said...

Good clarification, I see people at church wearing leggings under a short skirt a lot...so I honestly didn't know if leggings were enough.

Cute poster design too.

Emily Heizer Photography said...

Good to know! I was starting to wonder about that I had seen it so often!

Ashley Bennion said...

I love that poster - I have seen girls with long shirts and leggings not even skirts at church assuming those are appropriate - Thanks for sharing!

Jess said...

So agree! My sister-in-law had a bishop that asked a question about modesty like this in an interview. Hey, speaking of modest, Shabby Apple is having a "damaged" dress sale in a few weeks, I'll let you know when it is cause I think the dresses will be fairly inexpensive and I think they are just having it in HOlladay.

Nurse Heidi said...

Excellent post! I totally agree! (And I sympathize with the difficulty of finding long enough dresses - it's irritating to me that as an average height person, hemlines routinely still fall 2" too short!)