Tuesday, December 20, 2011

DIY Stocking Holders

It's only December 20th and I finally got my stockings hung today! Go, me. In my defense, I did start them in November, I'm just slower than molasses at finishing craft projects. But they turned out pretty cute so I thought I'd share.

When I was decorating for Christmas this year I realized I have a mantel now that the basement is finished (we don't have one upstairs), so I needed some stocking holders . (In the past we've just laid them under the tree because we had no where else to put them!)

I got some inspiration from here and here. Then I went to the craft store and bought some letters to spell the word "Noel," since we've got 4 stockings to hang. Then I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of wood that I had them cut into 8-inch sections for me. I painted the blocks & letters, then sanded the edges and antiqued them with some dark stain. Then I modge podged scrapbook paper onto the blocks, hot glued the letters on, and recruited my hubby to screw on some hooks I found at Target.

I think they turned out pretty cute! All in all I think it cost me around $25 for the whole project, so about $6 per stocking holder. Plus I've got a bunch of wood left from Home Depot to do something else fun with!



1 comment:

Jessica Bath said...

Very nice! I like how sturdy they are =)